- When the temperature starts to dip, begin running hot water through your drains several times a day. This will ensure that your pipes receive some warmth even in the midst of cold weather.
- If you have a large home, pick one bathroom faucet to let a small trickle of water out of throughout the day. While we would normally tell you that leaving your water on is about the worst thing you can do for energy-efficiency, this small stream will help water move throughout your plumbing system, so your pipes never have time to freeze.
- Install pipe installation in crawlspaces, attics, garages and basements without heat ducts (granted, this last point will likely not apply to you, since most homes in California do not have basements.) Pipe insulation is standard in colder parts of the country, but by putting it in your Van Nuys home, you can help your pipes maintain a consistent temperature year-round.
- Try to keep rooms you are not using at a temperature of at least 55 degrees. While you may not want to waste the heat on rooms you are not using, 55 degrees isn’t dramatically high, and maintaining this temperature will go a long way towards preventing your pipes from freezing.
- You may also want to look at heating options in storage rooms, crawlspaces, and even the garage (again, this would also apply in case you have a basement, too.) While this might seem like a waste of energy, running your heating system or even turning in a space heater in these places can reduce the chance that you will have to deal with a burst pipe as a result of freezing.
- Open up cabinets where there is piping in your home to help them get some warmth from your HVAC system. You would be surprised how cold piping can get in these areas, and exposing them to any amount of heat can help a lot.
- Give Rooter Guard Plumbing Services a call for a free inspection before it gets too cold out. We will be able to point out spots where your pipes may be vulnerable to freezing, and suggest improvements you can make to prevent water damage.
To reach our skilled Van Nuys plumbers now, dial (818) 572-9743 , or contact us online.