Toto toilets have become a popular choice because it is friendly to the environment and your pocket. It uses less water even when flushing is on high capacity. So you’re not only conserving water, but also saving money that would have gone down the drain with high utility bills. But like most toilets, Toto will clog up at some point, especially when used carelessly. How do you deal with a problem then?
Using Dishwashing Detergent
1. Get 1/4 cup of liquid dishwashing detergent and then pour it into the toilet. Let it sit for 10 minutes. This will lubricate whatever material is clogged in the toilet.
2. Bring water to a boil, and then slowly pour it into the toilet with the dish detergent. The combination will help move the clog through the toilet.
3. Flush the toilet to completely move the water solution and clog through the pipe.
4. See if the toilet is still clogged by flushing it again and checking if the water drains without a hitch.
Note: You can also use a vinegar and baking soda solution instead of dishwashing detergent. Use 1 cup of each, mix and just pour into the toilet.
Using a Plunger
1. Follow the same process of unclogging a Toto toilet using dish detergent and hot water.
2. After flushing the solution, vigorously plunge the toilet drain to force the clog out with air pressure.
3. Flush again and check if clog still persists. Rinse and repeat.
Using a Manual Toilet Snake
When you have done the steps above and nothing seems to work, it is time to take out the manual toilet snake.
1. Insert the head of the toilet snake down the drain and then extend it by turning the handle, until you locate the culprit.
2. Continue turning the handle to force the clog down the drain.
3. Slowly remove the snake and then flush the toilet. Check if the clog has been cleared.
Depending on the gravity of the situation, you may only need to use a dish detergent or all three of the tips listed above. If none of your efforts work, you should call in the experts. The problem may be bigger than what you can handle DIY. But treat plumbers as your last resort.
Maintenance Tips for a Toto toilet
1. If possible, avoid throwing toilet paper into the toilet to keep it from clogging.
2. Use only one-ply paper to help prevent clogs in the event that you prefer to flush toilet paper down the drain.
3. Know which items are flushable and which isn’t. Diapers and feminine hygiene products may be labeled as flushable, but they could still clog the toilet. Perform a ‘flushable’ test by filling a bowl with water. Place the items to be flushed in a water-filled bowl, swish it around and then leave it in for an hour. If the item doesn’t fully disintegrate after an hour, then it is not flushable.
4. Don’t place anything on the toilet tank or the shelf over the toilet. If any of your toiletries fall into the toilet, you will have some fishing to do, which can be nasty business. If you accidentally flush the toilet, then you have worse problems to deal with.