Making your own shower pan can be very challenging for some people. That is why most of them desire to purchase fiberglass units that they can use right away without spending a great deal of money. However, making your own fiberglass shower pan can be a great option when you are installing a custom-built tile shower. After all, you should be able to build one that may complement what you have installed.
Nevertheless, despite the amount of time that you need to make a fiberglass shower pan, which can last to about a couple of days, you can always have a more customized design. However, you have to take note that a base that has been poorly installed will cause some leaks. But remember, leaks can result if you install the unit in a substandard fashion. So in times when you need to fix this issue, you should rip out the shower walls and the base when necessary.
A fiberglass shower pan can be made with ease if you are equipped with the materials needed for the job. All you need is a piece of wood or foam in order to create a base for the fiberglass resin and strips to be poured into. If you are very creative, you can do this by using decorative elements.
Here are handy things that you can do for yourself.
1. Creating a Specific Form for the Fiberglass
- You can utilize foam or lumber pieces or wood so that you can form a box in accordance with the dimensions of your shower area.
- Simply try to connect both ends of the boards with the use of fasteners like screws or nails. If you can do this, you will be able to create a fiberglass pan.
2. Pouring in the Fiberglass
- Upon the creation of your fiberglass pan, you need to layer the strips of the fiberglass in the form so as to create a crisscross pattern.
- You can now pour the fiberglass resin on top of this pattern that you’ve prepared in which you can allow it to settle and eventually harden.
- After allowing it to harden, you can now separate the ends of the form so that you can reveal the fiberglass pan that you have been aiming to achieve. You can now place this in the shower.
If you have the shower area of your house on the second floor, you need to determine if that location is strong enough to hold the whole set up. Otherwise, you need to beef it up with the use of some floor joists and some beams. On the other hand, you can always consult a building inspector for that matter so that you can get the best results. Some old houses have been built in the 1970s, so you definitely require reinforcement, especially the shower area.
Take note that you can always consult a professional if you aren’t sure about what you are doing. People with extensive knowledge about fixing or installing a shower pan can also help you produce the best results. Just don’t hesitate to call for help regarding this matter as this isn’t a laughing matter.